What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is the virtually painless and safe insertion of very tiny, sterile, disposable needles at strategic points (acupoints) on the body to elicit a healing response. According to basic acupuncture theory, the blood, body fluids, and energy (Qi) flow in specific patterns throughout the body. From the Eastern perspective, an imbalance within the body, mind, emotions, and/or spirit can result in a stagnation of the blood, body fluids, and/or Qi ... or vice versa! ... and any imbalance leads to dysfunction, pain, and ultimately disease. Stimulation of the acupoints can remove stagnation to resolve pain, relax the mind to reduce stress, equalize dysfunction to promote balance, and prevent or manage disease. Using Western medical terms, acupuncture influences neurochemical and bioelectrical processes, leading to the state of homeostasis and health.
I'm nervous about the needles ... Is acupuncture painful?
Acupuncture should not be painful! However, the main reason many people wait so long to try acupuncture is their misconception that acupuncture will be painful. I use Japanese style needles, which are so tiny that many people do not feel the needle at all, although some people do feel a small pinch. There can be sensations of tingling, aching, heaviness, warmth, lightness, and/or release as the Qi moves in reaction to the acupoint stimulation. Acupuncture treatments are typically very relaxing and most people feel a sense of well-being after the visit. The most common comment I hear when treating someone for the first time who was afraid of the needles is along the lines of, "Oh! Is that all?! I didn't even feel it!" - so if a misconception is keeping you from trying this wonderful healing modality, please don't hesitate to schedule with me!
What conditions can acupuncture treat?
- Acupuncture is extremely effective for pain relief. Neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain, arm, elbow and hand pain, hip pain, knee pain, ankle and foot pain, and any other acute pain, can all be managed and reduced by acupuncture treatment. Stimulating specific acupoints (thereby releasing physical, mental, emotional, and/or spiritual blockages), triggers a cascade of neurochemical responses from your brain. For example, the endorphins released due to acupuncture treatment not only help your body reduce the perception of pain, but also create feelings of euphoria and modulate your response to stress.
- Acupuncture, cupping therapy, and herbal medicine enhance your body's natural ability to recover. Rest and recovery are vital to participation in high intensity activities, such as cardiovascular training, running, strength and conditioning programs, CrossFit, martial arts, surfing and other water sports, long-distance or mountain bicycling, and other rigorous fitness programs. In order to maintain consistent high-level performance, all athletes need a recovery strategy. Acupuncture can speed the both recovery of sports injuries as well as boost your body's innate healing processes at physiological and mental levels.
- Acupuncture and cupping therapy can combat allergies, colds, and influenza. Many people consistently seek assistance from their acupuncturist to fend off, manage, and reduce recuperation time from common seasonal ailments. Herbal medicine is an amazing adjunct to maintain health during the changing seasons.
- Acupuncture, herbal medicine, and lifestyle adjustments greatly improve the reaction to emotional issues. Anxiety, depression, insomnia, stress, and PTSD can all be effectively managed utilizing acupuncture and aromatherapy. Acupuncture helps you to relax both mentally and physically, which will assist in reducing muscle tension, fatigue, and pain, as well as minimizing anxiety and stress. Reducing the overall stress on your body provides many health benefits, which include reduced inflammation, decreased blood pressure, improvements in length and quality of sleep, and increased immune response, all of which can lead to an improvement in overall health and fitness.
- Acupuncture can be very useful to treat internal imbalances such as hormonal fluctuations, headaches, insomnia, digestive issues, and reproductive complaints.
- More serious diseases such as autoimmune disorders, cancer, diabetes, and hypertension can be supported by acupuncture to ease symptoms or reactions to Western treatment naturally, without side effects.
How much does it cost?
Please refer to the Appointments page.